Straight to multiplayer
If you don’t give a rat’s behind about single player campaigns and just want to shoot your friends in a virtual environment, Activision has a proposition for you—buy just the multiplayer portion of Call of Duty: Black Ops III and you’ll pay a reduced rate.
The Call of Duty: Black Ops III Multiplayer Starter Pack leaves out all the single player elements and lets you get right to the multiplayer action. It includes public ranked multiplayer matches, plus the Arena, Freerun, and Theater game modes. You also get access to the Weapon Paint Shop, Gunsmith, and Black Market.
Before you pounce on this, gander a list of features NOT included:
- Zombies game mode
- Campaign game mode
- Ability to play in Multiplayer custom games
- Ability to Prestige (your level will be capped at 55 in the Starter Pack)
- Access to mod tools or modded content (once released)
- Access to unranked server browser (once released)
- Ability to Fresh Start your profile
- The ability to access Dead Ops Arcade II and Nightmares mode
The omission of the zombie mode is probably the biggest bummer, second to perhaps the level cap. However, there’s still a fair bit of multiplayer fun to be had for a comparatively low price. And should you later decide to upgrade to the full game, Steam will deduct what you paid for the Multiplayer Starter Pack. That applies to both the regular version ($45 after discount) and Deluxe ($85 after discount).
It looks like the Multiplayer Starter Pack is a temporary deal—Steam says the offer expires on February 29, 2016.